We are a group of residents and fellows at the University of Toronto interested in sharing and improving our writing. We currently hold monthly meetings, capped at 10 attendees. Each meeting is co-facilitated by an experienced physician-writer or medical writer, who helps guide the discussion with the benefit of his or her experience. We welcome housestaff from any discipline, and with an interest in any genre of writing (narrative medicine pieces, poetry, fiction, memoir, creative non-fiction) as long as it’s written to be read.
Attendees are selected on a first-come, first-served basis, with preference given to residents who can regularly attend or who have work to present. Scheduling and location are to be determined by group consensus.
Participating housestaff will:
1. Learn how to critique writing and be critiqued in a supportive environment
2. Become comfortable with standards of confidentiality when writing about patients and peers
3. Receive constructive feedback on writing
4. Learn about the publishing process
5. Learn about combining writing with medical careers
6. Receive exposure to experienced physician-writers who can comment on all of the above.
For more information, including information about upcoming meetings and speakers, please contact Raffi Rush MD at firstname.lastname@example.org